August 13, 2020

Meet La Mancha Sims, Author of Franchising Secrets

Credit: La Mancha Sims
La Mancha, welcome to Authors by Sasha. How did a former naval communication officer decide to embrace entrepreneurship?

Thank you. I am happy to have the opportunity to share my journey with your listeners and readers. Becoming a Naval officer was one of the most exciting things I did when I was younger. The amount of responsibility that I was given at such a young age along with the ability to travel and see parts of this world I would otherwise never have seen was incredible. But there was always this undercurrent, something missing, that feeling of not being my own person, that maybe I was shortchanging my life journey. Please do not misunderstand, I loved my work and the opportunity to serve this great country. However, I wanted something else, something that was mine; I wanted to live out a bigger dream, one that I saw my father try to live out in his life. See, my Father was the first business owner I knew and seeing him try to run his business during the day and work full time at night always weighed on me. Here was a man that tried to have security for his family by working full time at night while during the day trying to realize his dream of being an Entrepreneur. He died before I was old enough to fully understand how to ask him which one served him better. I think he allowed fear and safety to control his path in life. So, by him not picking one career to Focus on, (either the full-time job or being an Entrepreneur), caused him pain and inner conflict. Having 6 kids, a wife and mother-in-law to feed and shelter, all depending on him gave him little opportunity to fully take the chances that I think he wanted to. For me, I had to pick one to Focus on and Becoming an Entrepreneur has fed my soul. 

Prior to transitioning from the Navy to the commercial sector, what was the inspiration behind joining the Navy? 

That is an easy answer, when you grow up without any financial resources liked I did. And as in my case, the Navy offers you a 4 year full-ride, everything paid for scholarship to College, informs you that you will be a Commissioned Officer plus have a chance to see the world: There is no other response but to say Yes! 

What were some lessons learned from your Navy career that prepared you to eventually launch Triton Business Group?

There are 4 things that, to this day, I draw from my time spent in the Navy.
  • My Focus – Once I set a goal for the company and my team, I do whatever is required to ensure that we achieve that goal. I do not believe in excuses, only “The how and what’s needed to get things done!”
  • Having the Right Team – Years ago I learned, and it truly shows now, that without the right people around me nothing gets done on time and in a professional manner. So, I try to make sure that I have the right team members around me with all of them having a singular focus on getting the task at hand completed.
  • Patience – This is one thing that the Navy taught me, but I must give my wife of almost 30 years some credit as well. Nothing happens overnight and watching others around you seemingly get things done at a faster pace sometimes be frustrating. Developing the patience that is required has been hard, but it has been worth it when I see the results. Sometimes you must really watch the moments in business and life, then Allow things to develop before you rush into them.
  • Making Adjustments – Its an old saying in the military that once the bullets start flying the best laid plans fall apart. With that, I have learned to be prepared and able to make quick adjustments as market conditions dictates. Triton has been around for over a decade servicing our clients in a variety of ways and when adjustments are required, I am always flexible enough to move and lead with market conditions.
As a business professional whose education and career is derived from a foundation of economics and finance, what guidance do you have for small business owners to navigate the present economic uncertainty?

Read, Listen, and be Prepared to act when the right opportunity comes. We have a lot of headwinds in the current market - many known and many more not yet realized. So, I say to the small business owners, new and well-seasoned, know your market and hone your abilities because these are the times Millionaires are made! 

Process enhancement is to organizations as self-development is to individuals. Ultimately people create and improve processes. How do you engage in self-development compared to when you were in your 20s', 30's,...? 

My father was a businessman and I use to watch him when I was younger go out and talk to everyone no matter who they were. He would always ask them what was going on in the area where they lived, what they thought about different things that were happening, etc. I was often embarrassed by him asking these people he would meet at the store , in parking lots getting in their cars, places we would be at eating lunch, etc., many he did not know, all these direct questions. I thought the old man was as nosy as they came! Today, as I am let’s say, have become a more Seasoned man with age, I find myself out doing the same thing, asking people many of those same familiar questions. Now, as an “Educated Man” LOL, we call it market research and it has worked out well. My father, who had a 8th grade education, may not have called it market research, but the old man taught me a lot. With that said, I read all type of business and motivational material, listen to experts in the field, and get into the market to see what’s really happening. 

Are there certain schools of thought that you've abandoned and embraced along your personal journey?

I honestly believe that we all have a purpose in life. Just that most people spend their lives not following and listening to that inner voice that tells them to turn in a certain direction, which would take them down the road where that purpose lies. That most people ignore that voice for so long it fades into a whisper. Sometimes, all it takes is for a person to sit with themselves, in a quiet space for a while and focus - that voice will once again become loud and clear. At my age, I realize that my purpose and that voice have always been with me. It’s up to Me to Listen and Act! 

La Mancha, life isn't perfect. How do you cope when you're having a bad day? How would your wife describe you on a bad day.

Over the years I have found a love for Jazz. It is the one thing that when I am having a very uncomfortable day, calms me in a way that nothing else does. I realize that yelling, worrying, and pushing up against a wall that is not going to move does not help in any way. So, I step back from whatever is causing the uncomfortable moment, get my Jazz going and clear my head. Always remembering Life is going to happen no matter what!
​As for my wife, she would agree with everything I said, after adding that its that time before I put on the Jazz when I am walking around mad, upset, trying to right the ship that she has spent years teaching me to stop, take a breath and just put on some Jazz. 

What is the biggest surprise you've encountered during your entrepreneurial career? This can be someone, something or an event which reaffirmed your faith in humanity.

That at the end of the day no matter what, most people are just trying to figure out life, business, and their place in this world. They do not mean any real harm to you and when events happen a lot of times its out of their control. Given the time and the resources I genuinely believe that people are good and will try to do the right thing. 

What advice do you have for impending entrepreneurs hosting great ideas yet they defer execution due to their fear of failure?

I had this economic teacher who had a plaque on her desk that to this day has an impact on the way I think. It simply said, “Control Your Destiny or Someone Else Will”. When I am feeling uncomfortable about something, fearful that things are not going my way, or I should have gotten on another path, I remember that plaque. People always ask me “What was my biggest fear about being an Entrepreneur?” My answer is I never gave failure as an Entrepreneur a thought! I have always been more afraid of making 6 figures, having a family, kids in college, mortgage, car payments, a host of other bills and a Boss come into my office, after I worked somewhere for 10, 15 or 25 years, to tell me I am no longer needed. In one moment, one person changing everything about my life and how my family would live. To me that was real Fear and a driving factor for me to become an Entrepreneur.

Why do people fear failure so much?

People fear the unknown and we have been taught that being an Entrepreneur carries an enormous amount of risk. I am not going to sit here and lie; it does carry a lot of risk, but the rewards are so much greater. Each person must decide if they can stomach the Risk over Security and Safety that those first few years will take to become a successful Entrepreneur. If you genuinely want to live like only a few people can, you have to be willing to do what only a few people are willing to do. What you think is scary, after you take that risk, you will realize was the exciting part!

What are the latest projects that you're working on right now?

My team and I are working with a few Builders who are planning to develop and build two new large subdivisions. 

What has been your greatest accomplishment within the past 12 months?

​Getting the company back to its roots. Triton Started off working in the Real Estate space, Sourcing and Lending Capital, Building Houses, Consulting with Real Estate Investors and Builders in all things Real Estate. Over the last 12 mos. we have gotten back to that as the main mission of the company and I think everyone on my team is happier for that. 

You've authored "Franchise Secrets to Building Wealth: Entrepreneur Guide to Success". What are some concerns within the franchising industry that deter people from investing their resources? 

Thinking that the cost to entry is a lot more than it truly is to purchase the franchise. Not knowing how to raise the money required to get everything set up and how much money is going to be needed to conduct the franchise operations that first year. 

Do you believe this industry is misunderstood among audiences?

Yes, most people still do not fully understand what it takes to become a Franchise owner, the benefits as well as the pitfalls in the industry. Like many other industries there are sharks in the water, and you need to truly do good due diligence, or you can and will loss your life savings. It’s a great business model because with the right Franchise a lot of the initial risks are eliminated, and the franchisee has a good structure and support system. 

If you had to create a 'reflection table' which comprised of four personalities that can assist your personal and professional development, who would you invite and why?

I would have to invite the following people:
  • Steve Jobs – His ability to fail and not give up and stay focused, knowing that his vision is something that the world needed and has changed the world. To have the ear of that type of person would be life changing. Over the years I have read most of everything he has written.
  • Miles Davis – Mr. Davis was a man who carried his love of music and creativity in him and he knew exactly how to share it with the world. His ability to create and recreate his music and follow his mind and passion is something from which we all could learn. I listen to his music daily and have watched many of his interviews over the years.
  • Bob Rankin – This is a man that changed my life. He was the Skipper of a Ship that I had the pleasure to serve onboard many years ago. He gave me the courage to stand up for myself and honestly believe in my abilities and how to listen to that inner voice which leads us all. Great Skipper, Great Man, Great Adviser, Great Counsel. I have no other words, but a big part of who I am today is because of that man. 
  • Shirley – She is not known by anyone who really knows me except my wife. She was our first Real Estate Agent. She showed me how real estate really works and how to get inside of the clients’ head in order to deliver the right type of product to the right client. I never got a chance to thank her for her insight and patience working with me. 
  • Mr. Endell Sims – I know you said 4 but I must give my father some credit as well. I never said earlier what type of business my father was involved in. The business I watched him for years try his best to build into something great. He was a Real Estate General Contractor by day and worked at the airport at night. Seeing him take a wooded lot and turn it into a house that people would buy to live in and love was amazing. Without me watching and learning from him, I would not be doing what I am doing today! So, I know the old man is somewhere smiling and saying I told you so. Because he is the one that said this would be the life for me one day. I used to love going to the work sites with him in the summer! ​
I hope everyone out there realizes their dreams and even if they do not reach their goals, the excitement and fun of just trying, trust me, will mean a lot in the long run! Thank you for allowing me to share my journey with all of you.

Please share with audiences with how they can support your work.

Business website: www.tritoninvestors.com
Following me on Twitter: @LaManchaSims

No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Kashing Karma 2.0

 Reference: Kashing Karma 2.0 Strategy Revisited Sample Playlist

Popular Posts